From The Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History:
The Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History and Book Arts Santa Cruz are bringing together some of Santa Cruz’s phenomenal book artists for an evening extravaganza Friday -- the 3rd Friday: Poetry and Book Arts Extravaganza -- at MAH, 705 Front Street, Santa Cruz.
These artists will remind you never to judge a book by its cover with ongoing workshops that transform the printed page into altered books, book art sculptures, envelopes, guerrilla art books and book mobiles.
- Get back to the basics of book arts by making your own paper. Santa Cruz’s expert paper artists Peter and Donna Thomas, Frank Trueba, John Babcock, Bonnie Britton, Emily Patchin and Matthew Cohen will transform the classroom into a paper making workshop that walks you through each step of the paper making process.
- Linda Stinchfield and Janina Larenas will teach you all about book binding, beginning with the Phamphlet-Stitch Booklets.
- Learn about the art of lettering with zentangle letter writing on Weather-grams with Terry Spodick and Ruth Korch.
- Drip vibrant colors of ink with Connie Hunter and Linda Babcock in their paper marbling workshop.
- Learn how to use a pilot press broadside printer with Samuel Amico, Jody Alexander, Kate Hitt, and Felicia Rice.
- Make tiny books with the Santa Cruz Public Library.
A sign up list will be posted on the auditorium at 5PM and then open readings will begin at 7PM.Listen in as the spoken word inspires you to write some of your own poems throughout the museum.
- Add a line to the collaborative lullaby in the Cradles Project exhibit with Santa Cruz Writes, write haikus based on newspaper articles with Jim Jones or write poems about growth on our Poet-tree.
- The Art Bar and Jasmine Schlafke are organizing dynamic slam poets to read in our second floor gallery.
- Explore the art of typewriter poetry with Kevin Devaney and Alyssa Young. Poet, Magdalena Montagne will be creating “Portrait Paintings in Poetry”; visitors can answer questions and she will compose a portrait of you in words based on your responses.
The Children’s Museum of Discovery will share a variety of literary activities for all ages.
- Jennifer Kincaid‘s An Artful Alphabet encourages visitors to be part of a collaborative alphabet book by drawing their own letter designs.
- Turn poems into pictures and pictures into poems in a workshop that blends words and art. Julie Rogge will lead a workshop in illuminated letters.
Cost: $5 General, $3 Students, Seniors and Kids, FREE for MAH Members and Children under 4 free.
This event was created in partnership with Poetry Santa Cruz and Book Arts Santa Cruz.
Thanks to collaborators for making this event possible: Jim Russo, Len Anderson, Poetry Santa Cruz, Book Arts Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz Writes, Jim Jones, Felicia Rice, Jennifer Kincaid, Jody Alexander, Linda Stinchfield,Janina Larenas, Peter Thomas, Donna Thomas, Frank Trueba, John Babcock, Bonnie Britton, Matthew Cohen, Ruth McGurk, Samuel Amico, Santa Cruz Public Library, Janis O’Driscoll, Terry Spodick, Ruth Korch, Connie Hunter, Magdalena Montagne, Linda Babcock, The ArtBar, Kevin Devaney, Alyssa Young, The Children’s Museum of Discovery, Patrice Keet, Bonnie Keet, Jasmine Schlafke, Kate Hitt, Julie Rogge, Robert Sward, Peggy Heinrich, Stephen Kessler and Patricia Zylius, Tom McKoy, Thea Crossly, Sheila Siegel, Pamela Papas.