Patch can't think of a better way to kick off 2012 than with an invigorating night of live music. Don't worry if you don't have a honey to lock lips with at midnight—all you need are your dancing shoes, and you are well on your way to starting off the new year on the right foot.
Below are some of the concerts happening in Santa Cruz County on New Year's Eve. It seems like there's something for everyone.
1. The Catalyst in Santa Cruz will be riled up with some homespun bluegrass bands, with The Devil Makes Three headlining and Brothers Comatose opening. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., and music starts at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $35 in advance and $40 at the door.
2. Eliquate and Gina Rene will also be playing at the Catalyst's Atrium, and there is no cover for this show. The Catalyst is downtown at 1011 Pacific Ave.
3. The Crepe Place hosts another Santa Cruz-born band, Harry and the Hitmen, for this year's New Year’s Eve Extravaganza. Harry and the Hitmen delivers psychedelic Motown grooves guaranteed to get you boogying down in the intimate front room of The Crepe Place. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door. The Crepe Place is at 1134 Soquel Ave.
4. The Rio Theatre celebrates the New Year with Antsy McClain and the Trailer Park Troubadours, who will play new songs from their new album, The Sun Sessions, as well as plenty of classics. Tickets are $27.50/$37.50 in advance, and $32.50/$42.50 on the day of the show. The Rio is at 1205 Soquel Ave.
5. The intimate dance floor at Santa Cruz's favorite little blues club, Moe's Alley, will be boiling over with the energetic drumming of SambaDa. SambaDa is a local Afro-Brazilian group complete with a hefty percussion section, horns and a whole lot of dancing. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. Doors open at 8 p.m., and the music starts at 9 p.m. Moe’s Alley is at 1535 Commercial Way in midtown Santa Cruz.
6. The DB Walker Band will play at Paradise Beach Grille in Capitola Village, which is a great choice if you're looking for some gourmet grub and a full bar to go with your New Year’s music craving. The band will begin at 9 p.m. Paradise Beach Grille is at 215 Esplanade in Capitola.
7. Don Quixote's in Felton hosts a New Year's Celebration featuring the Sun Kings with a tribute to the Beatles. Champagne at midnight and party favors are on the house. Dinner specials include crab enchilada verde with sour cream, rice and beans, but show up early while there's still some left. Tickets are $35 in advance and $40 at the door. Show starts at 9 p.m. Don Quixote's is at 6275 Highway 9 in Felton.
8. will put on one last show for the year, this time a fundraiser to help keep the lights on. Several artists will perform, including folk rock diva Nancy Cassidy and multi-instrumentalist Dayan Kai, as well as performances by Steve Uccello, and Michael Gaither. Read more about this concert The show starts at 7 pm., and the suggested donation is $20. The Corralitos Cultural Center is at 29 Hames Rd, Watsonville.
9. Jalisco Restaurant in Watsonville hosts two Mexican bands: The Titanes and Banda Lobo. The music starts at 10 p.m., but get there early if you want to eat dinner, too. Party favors, drink specials and quality musica mexicana guaranteed. $20 cover charge. Jaliscos Restaurant is at 618 Main St., Watsonville.
10. Cilantros is the place to go if you're looking to get down on the dance floor. DJ Danny C of KDON will start the music at 9:30 p.m. and the dancing won't stop until 2012. Expect party favors and drink specials. There will be a cover charge, although the amount has not yet been announced. Cilantros is at 1934 Main St. in Watsonville.
Know of another show we've missed? Share the details in the comments!