Can I get help paying for someone to take care of me?

Ask Roxy is a public service blog from the Law Offices of Roxanne Sher Olson (www.roxanneolson.com).  Roxanne is an attorney in Santa Cruz, CA.  Email your questions to askroxy@roxanneolson.com

Yes, you can if you qualify.  In California, there is a program called “In-Home Supportive Services” for people with low income who need help paying for a personal assistant in their homes.

In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) provide people with low-income who are blinddisabled, or 65 years old or older with personal assistance and other services so they can live safely in their homes.  (Notice that I highlighted “blind” and “disabled,” that is because in public benefits world everything must be exactly defined — clicking on the links should give you the definitions.)  
Services range from assistance with household chores to personal care, such as dressing, bathing, and paramedical services (like if you need someone to administer a shot).  Some IHSS can also be used in the workplace. 
For many people, IHSS is a great alternative to assisted living or nursing facilities. (Did I mention that a client of mine recently told me that she’d rather be given a dose of opium and be pushed off a cliff than go to a nursing home?) 


This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »