The Santa Cruz County Gang Task Force (GTF) rounded up 11 criminals for incarceration on Thursday following a sweep of the north and mid-county areas.
The GTF is made up of officers and agents from the Santa Cruz County Anti-Crime Team (SCCACT), Santa Cruz Police Department, Capitola Police Department, Watsonville Police Department, Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, and Homeland Security Investigations (HSI).
Throughout the morning and early afternoon of March 15, they attempted to contact "55 subjects that were identified as being on probation or parole and have a history or association with Criminal Street Gangs," GTF Commander Mario Sulay said.
Of the 55 total subjects, they were able to search 25 residences, 16 of which were found to be in compliance with either parole or probation. However, nine were in violation and were arrested, with two others being arrested along the way, for a total of 11.
Included in those arrested for violation was Jesus Herrera, 20. At his residence, Sulay said they found "a small amount of heroin, evidence that he was distributing heroin, and a loaded .25 caliber handgun."
According to Sulay, an 18-year-old found to be in violation of his probation was determined to have entered the country illegaly by HSI agents.
The subjects whose homes could not be searched Thursday are still under investigation.
See the complete list of Thursday arrests below.
1. 21-year-old Edgar Coronel of - Violation of Probation
2. 20-year-old Jesus Herrera - Violation of Probation, Possession of Heroin for Sale, Possession of a Firearm while in Possession of Heroin, Gang Crime
3. 15-year-old male juvenile (name withheld) - Violation of Probation
4. 16-year-old male juvenile (name withheld) - Violation of Probation
5. 44-year-old Thomas Parrish of - Felon in Possession of a Stun Gun, Violation of Parole
6. 46-year-old Laurie Soderman - Felony Warrant (Petty Theft w/ a Prior)
7. 20-year-old Edgar Quintero - Violation of Parole
8. 18-year-old male (name withheld) - Violation of Probation, Unlawful Entry into United States
9. 29-year-old Ryan Weisel of - Violation of Parole
10. 36-year-old Henry Huante - Violation of Parole
11. 23-year-old Fermin Lopez of - Under the Influence of a Narcotic
Want Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our free newsletter!