A 29-year-old man is in critical condition after his house at 128 Walk Circle exploded at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday while he was making butane hash oil, or BHO.
The explosion blew out the windows and the back blast from it extinguished flames that could have caused a worse fire, police said. The victim, whose name was being held by police, tried to drive himself to Dominican hospital but he met his girlfriend and she drove him the rest of the way.
He was moved to a burn unit, where he was listed in critical condition. The blast started in the bathroom. BHO uses combustible chemicals to extract concentrated THC from marijuana plants.
There was $10,000 of damage, according to firefighters, but $450,000 of property saved. A dog was also injured in the blast.